In the event of a major disaster (e.g., earthquake, fire, etc.), SCHOOL WILL NOT BE DISMISSED, AND CHILDREN WILL REMAIN UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF SCHOOL AUTHORITIES until parents or responsible adults can pick them up.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARENTS
- REMAIN CALM. Your child is probably safer at school in the event of a disaster. School personnel are trained in CPR, First Aid and Emergency Preparedness. In the event of a disaster, school staff members are designated as Disaster Service Workers and must remain with your children for up to 72 hours after the emergency. The school has a supply of food, fresh water and first aid supplies.
- DO NOT CALL THE SCHOOL. You will receive a message from "School Messenger", the MVSD's emergency phone calling service. Please regard it as very important. The caller id will be the MVSD number 415.389.7700. Don't hang up. If it is an emergency notification, it will include instructions.
Emergency notifications are sent to up to three (3) of your phone numbers, land line or otherwise, in the MVSD student database. Please make sure your phone information is up-to-date in the school district's database. Notify the school office if your phone or email changes.
- KEEP YOUR CHILD'S EMERGENCY CONTACT CARD UP-TO-DATE. If necessary, we will release your child to the adult indicated on your child's emergency contact card. We will keep a written record of the child and the adult to whom they have been released.
- PREPARE YOUR CHILD. Let your child know who can pick them up at school if you cannot be there.
- WALK TO SCHOOL, IF POSSIBLE. Leave the streets free for emergency vehicles.
- DO NOT REMOVE YOUR CHILD OR ANY OTHER CHILD FROM SCHOOL WITHOUT SIGNING OUT AT THE STUDENT RELEASE AREA. This provides a record of where each child is located. The student release area is at the main gate in the parking lot adjacent East Strawberry Drive. School staff will assist you during checkout procedure.
The PTA Emergency Preparedness Committee ensures that disaster procedures are up-to-date, and maintains supplies such as food, water, first aid, and search & rescue supplies. It also organizes an annual disaster drill held at the school. If you would like more information about our efforts or would like to volunteer, please contact the Emergency Chairperson Susan Butler